Like us on Facebook

Search This Blog

Monday 23 May 2011

Petty Traders "New Trend " In Freetown Today

Do you remember 10 years ago what petty traders used to sound like, or look like? Remember the gentleman around St. John that sells the funny puffy doughnuts? For me, he was the most audible street hawker of my time. Even though what he sold was a mixture of flower and sugar deep fried in cooking oil, I always listened for his voice when passing through St John in the evenings or even buy some. I am referring to the musical “More” trader. “More!!! Buy More!!! If you pikin dae cry, gee am more” etc. I am not sure if he used to move from point to point, but St. John was the place I always saw him.

I don't hear him anymore, but the new trend of hawking goods in the city of Freetown got me mesmerized. If you haven't been to the central business district of P.Z or east end of Freetown lately, you will be too.

Local traders do their hawking with style, comedy, even technology.

I was unable to grab photos form the traders selling slippers, fashion junk etc. They have a microphone, with their voice recording, with continuous playback, advertising whatever merchandise is on display. 

The goods are displayed in either a tray or wheelbarrow; the petty trader sits quietly behind, waiting for passers by to enquire or even buy whatever they are selling.

Some of the messages that they broadcast are so hilarious!! One got stuck in head! "Nor wait tay you rival buy im yon bid! Get you yon first before e take you man” AH! I am not sure I want to translate that in English, it’s an inside Sierra Leonean joke and I wish to keep it that way.

As for comedy, I found the WINNER!! See pictures below.

Suited up for selling his "Ice!"Cart, Glasses, full body suit, music player, so that he could do a little performance for those who wish to buy or NOT...

The young man is comfortable being the clown in the midst of other traders :)
He is so proud of his job and doesn't mind posing for News Hunters

Petty traders are evolving. But will they ever move or be moved off the streets? 

Marvel John- Marvelycious

1 comment:

  1. Issa Martyn Kanu27 May 2011 at 19:57

    I am proud of these honest and hard working, innovative compatriot..we need entrepreneur of this sort in our midst...as I started life from a similar level as him...I hope he has a destination he is aiming at...as for me I am already arriving to it.....Please pass on my congrats to him the next time you see him...and I am willing to meet him in town the next time I am around.....

    ReplyDelete